Cambridge : 07 823 1203
Carterton :   06 379 6560

19 Victoria Street. PO Box 86
Cambridge, New Zealand

Souter House

The soldier of the 3rd Waikato Militia who was granted this one acre section was Theophilus Galway who enrolled on 1 September 1863 in Melbourne Australia.

Souter House was designed by Mr James and built about 1877 of rimu and kauri, with 13 foot studs, small pane windows and finials - which are still intact. As the family, grew additions were made to the house.

This private dwelling belonged to Captain William Souter, a retired sea captain who, in his own ship, carried on trade between Auckland and Australia. He married Sarah in 1862 in Auckland, and they had 3 sons - Joseph, Arthur and Edwin - and 3 daughters - Anne, Violet and Kate. They came to Cambridge about 1877 and established W Souter & Co.

Joseph and Edwin Souter took over this business in 1888 and became very successful general merchants. They moved into the motor industry and stayed with it until 1961 (Souter & Co imported the first Ford Motor Car into the Auckland Province in 1908).

In 1991 it was converted to include a restaurant. In 2007 the restaurant closed its doors and the property was purchased by Herbert Morton Ltd Chartered Accountants.

Protected Trees near Souter House are a Coral tree, Black walnut and Copper beech. The Japanese Momi Fir (which looks like a Christmas tree), was planted in 1905 and is considered the best specimen in the North Island.

Username:
Password:
Copyright Herbert Morton Ltd © | Disclaimer | Site Map | Websites for accountants by Wolters Kluwer